Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Swatches


It is very important to create a swatch...most of the time.  I usually create one, but I rarely keep the swatch.  I will frog it to conserve yarn unless the yarn is delicate and won't look good post-frogging.  What you see above is an on-the-spot swatch for the dishcloth pattern below.

Using Sugar'n Cream in Ecru, I am going to make a 7"x7" dishcloth.
It will have a half inch garter stitch border to prevent curling as it is going to be plain 'ol stockinette stitch.

My swatch is 8 stitches and 11 rows = 2" square, using US9.

My pattern:
Cast on 30
Rows 1 - 4, knit all stitches
Row 5 - knit all stitches
Row 6 - k3, p to last 3 stitches, k3
Repeat rows 5 and 6 for 31 more rows ending on a WS row, aka you would be about to do a Row 6 and should have a total of 33 rows in the Row 5 & 6 pattern.
K 4 rows
Bind off

More steps to follow, but as this is a gift for someone, I will be holding on the rest of the pattern until after s/he receives it.

No comments:

Post a Comment