Sunday, November 6, 2011

Weekends & Knitting

The past few days I have been baking, cleaning, gaming, and knitting. Less knitting than I would like though.  My slippers are coming along nicely.  The first slipper is finished based on the initial pattern, but I have some modifications to make.

First off, I don't know who measures a 8-9 shoe in the size for that pattern, but it is HUGE.  I mean, I can get both of my feet easily into the one slipper.  So the next time I make these Ugg Booties, they will be MUCH smaller.  Second, I stopped knitted back and forth on straight needles after all the decreasing and switched to knitting the round to avoiding having to sew up the seam.  I hate sewing the seams.  And my finally change was that I also shortened the slipper to only 6" of stockinette and then switch to contrasting color for about 1.5".  The penultimate row was purled to help reduce curling of the slipper.  I am quite satisfied with the slipper, over than the ginormousness of it.  Next up, I am going to be "tufting" the slippers to compensate for the extra-large-ness of them and to make them extra warm.

I also visited a new yarn store yesterday.  The hubby and I were supposed to go to Portland for some yarn shopping, but we decided to stay close to the house so that we could spend more time relaxing!  The Knit Shop is a great store. They have a large selections of yarn and the prices weren't too expensive, though I did see a skein of sock yarn that I wanted--it was $36...it will have to wait... While I was there, someone called for assistance with a pattern for a sweater and they were very helpful. 

Here's what I got for my $36:

1 skein of Flounce--color 20 and the clerk offer assistance if I need any using the yarn.  I will be knitting this with the yarn.

2 skeins of Happy Feet--color 10 and it is SUPER soft.  I'm posting two pictures as one is tiny and the other is not true to the vibrant colors in the yarn.

2 skeins of Berroco Ultra Alpaca Light--color 4201. This yarn is for a hat I have been commissioned to make.



All in all, a good knitting weekend despite not actually knitting that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment